The May 1, 2017, round of Bentley Wings Scholarship Program was completed with the award of a total of 9 Scholarships of $3500 to each recipient for a total of $31,500. Five were current employees at Bentley Village and four of the recipients were dependents of Bentley Village employees. The recipients ranged in educational choices from technical certification in Heating, Refrigeration and Cooling, 2 year academic programs, to 4 year college academic programs.
Under the aegis of the Collier County Community Foundation, the scholarships were awarded on a competitive basis, according to IRS guidelines, after a rigorous review by a hardworking committee composed of Bentley residents Sandra Turner, Shirley Hagerson, “Pete” Tougas and Chairwoman Janys Foley, assisted by four CCCF members. The students were actively assisted in completing scholarship application forms by the Bentley Village HR staff under Director Colleen Billings.
Recipients of the May 2017 Scholarship Awards
Pictured above are: (left-right): Awardees: Angel Lopez, Geralda Cineus, Lucky Maldonado, Lindsay Pierre, Hannah Geer, Sherley Abela and Melvin Cerna.
(Not pictured are Awardees: Charlene Tanelus, Gabriela Fernandez and Belinda Mata.)
- Sherley Abela is an employee at Bentley Village in the Food & Beverage Department and is seeking a B.A. degree in Social Work from Florida Gulf Coast University. Sherley will receive the Friends of Bentley Village Scholarship.
- Melvin Cerna is an employee at Bentley Village in the Food & Beverage Department and is seeking certified training in the field of Air Conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating at Fort Myers Technical College. His scholarship is sponsored by Dr. Rod and Mrs. Sandra Turner.
- Geralda Cineaus is an employee at Bentley Village in the Food & Beverage Department and is seeking a B.A. from Florida Southwestern State College in Education and English. Geralda received the Gene & Shirley Blanchard Scholarship.
- Gabriela Fernandez is an employee at the Bentley Care Center and is seeking a B.S. degree in Nursing from Florida Southwestern State College. Her scholarship was sponsored by Karin Moe and Ira Dash.
- Hannah Geer is the daughter of Bentley Village lifestyle employee, Stanley Geer, and is seeking a B.A. degree in Marketing from the University of Central Florida. Her scholarship was sponsored by Janet Gravalec and Janet K. Tunstall.
- Angel Lopez is the son of Veronica Lopez, who is an employee at Bentley Care Center, and is seeking a B.S. degree in Biology at Florida Gulf Coast University. Angel will receive the Joan Casey Scholarship.
- Lucera Maldonado is the daughter of Bentley employee Maria Maldonado as well as a former Bentley Village employee. Lucera is seeking a B.A. degree in Education & English from Florida Southwestern State College.
- Lindsey Pierre is the daughter of Jeanette Joseph, who is employed at Bentley Village Assisted Living, and is seeking an AA degree in Nursing from Florida Southwestern State College. This scholarship is supported by Ariel Capital Management and Ciccarelli Advisory Services.
- Charlene Tanelus is an employee at Bentley Village Assisted Living Residences and is seeking an AS degree in Nursing from the Med-Life Institute of Naples. Her scholarship is supported by Finemark Bank & Trust and Janys & Walter Foley.
- Belinda Mata is an employee at Bentley Village in the Food and Beverage Department and is seeking a BA degree in Anthropology and Criminal Justice at Florida Gulf Coast University (note: added in October 2017)